Interesting issues

Zune Parts, Discussion, Upgrades & Repair

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

heptoman
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune 80/120
I've owned this device for: Over 5 years.

Interesting issues

Post by heptoman » August 19th, 2016, 10:38 pm

Here is my situation:

I have a Zune 80, my wife has a 120.

I tried fixing hers a few years back, unsuccessfully. Her hard drive failed, and I ordered a new one, along with a new zif cable. The firmware install froze at a certain spot, and never resumed and failed. I tried again, only to have the device restart a few seconds after the "Please wait 3" screen, or give an error 5 upon restart. I even tried to take apart my perfectly working 80 to try, also didn't work. When I tried putting the 80 back together, it started giving me the infamous error 5. I believe I also attempted installing a new motherboard, no success.

Fast forward to today, and here's my current inventory:
1 busted (taken apart) old 120 hdd.
1 new-ish (working) 120 hdd
1 old (working) 80 hdd
3 boards w/ old batteries
2 old zif cables (haven't tried continuity)
1 new zif cable (brand new, should be fine!?)

No matter the combination of pieces, I keep getting the same error. Either starting up with no button push, receive error 5. Starting up with combos for wipe AND format, get to the message screen, stays for a few seconds, then restarts only to get another error 5 or bad wipe/format cycle.

Hard drives are recognized in Windows via a USB/zif adapter, reformatted, etc.

All batteries are at least five years old, therefore I think they need to be replaced, but would that be any determining factor in my issues? The batteries were fine when I attempted fixing a few years ago.

REALLY would like to get at least one of these things working.

heptoman
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune 80/120
I've owned this device for: Over 5 years.

Re: Interesting issues

Post by heptoman » August 22nd, 2016, 8:32 pm

I just did a continuity test on the brand new zif and I have two pins that seem to be cross-wired - 35 and 36. Choice B zif (one of the old ones) is cross-wired on 18 and 19, and on choice C (other old one) pin 36 doesn't even have continuity.

So, I think I solved my problem. New one is less than two weeks old.