Ipod Video 5.5g sad face error after LCD replacement.

iPod related problems

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

rick1549
Noob
Noob

Ipod Video 5.5g sad face error after LCD replacement.

Post by rick1549 » October 11th, 2007, 11:00 am

Just replaced LCD and sad face error comes on after dark apple logo during startup. Stays on for a few seconds and then a clicking noise in hard drive is heard and then shuts down. Itunes does not recogonize and either does "my computer". Will not reset using Menu/Select button. Have repositioned hard drive cables to both hard drive and motherboard. Also after shut down when attached to USB I get a faint very low battery notice. This only happens when connected to USB or AC charger. Any help would be appreciated!

ilandboi14
VIP
VIP

Post by ilandboi14 » October 16th, 2007, 3:46 am

you may have a faulty hardrive

when you plug in your ipod to a power source like an ac/dc plug

if it charges your ipod then you unplug it
and it shows the apple logo and then it shuts down and restarts to show the apple logo again , there maybe a problem with the firmware

the next time you can start up your ipod put it into disk mode by holding down the center/click button
and the play/pause button at the same time while the apple logo is being shown

this will enable hard disk mode which will show a connect/disconnect logo/picture/text

when that is being shown plug your ipod into comp and open up otunes to restore ipod firmware or so on

rick1549
Noob
Noob

sad face ipod video 30gb

Post by rick1549 » October 16th, 2007, 12:12 pm

ilandboi14 wrote:you may have a faulty hardrive

when you plug in your ipod to a power source like an ac/dc plug

if it charges your ipod then you unplug it
and it shows the apple logo and then it shuts down and restarts to show the apple logo again , there maybe a problem with the firmware

the next time you can start up your ipod put it into disk mode by holding down the center/click button
and the play/pause button at the same time while the apple logo is being shown

this will enable hard disk mode which will show a connect/disconnect logo/picture/text

when that is being shown plug your ipod into comp and open up otunes to restore ipod firmware or so on

It doesn't do that. When plugging it in or when it's running on battery, apple logo comes up with no backlight and then to sad face error with backlight. This cycles on and off when connecting to A/C or when pushing the Menu button when on battery. I'm thinking it may be a hard drive connector cable not positioned right. I tried many time to reconnect it with no luck. Thanks for the reply.

ilandboi14
VIP
VIP

Post by ilandboi14 » October 16th, 2007, 6:32 pm

so when it starts up.

AND IT SHOWS THE APPLE LOGO

you hold down the select/middle/center BUTTON AND & the play/pause BUTTON

BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, WHEN THE BLACK BACK GROUND AND THE APPLE LOGO are there.

you'll hear a beep and then tell me what happens.

rick1549
Noob
Noob

Post by rick1549 » October 16th, 2007, 7:13 pm

ilandboi14 wrote:so when it starts up.

AND IT SHOWS THE APPLE LOGO

you hold down the select/middle/center BUTTON AND & the play/pause BUTTON

BOTH AT THE SAME TIME, WHEN THE BLACK BACK GROUND AND THE APPLE LOGO are there.

you'll hear a beep and then tell me what happens.
I made some progess. It is now in the disk mode and the cirlce with cross thru the middle showing. Also it is charging. Itunes does not recognize it although. What do I do from here? Thanks for ur help!

ilandboi14
VIP
VIP

Post by ilandboi14 » October 16th, 2007, 8:32 pm

alright!

so far so good.

ok so when it's plugged into your computer does it show up on the "my computer" or does is it just charging ?

is the hard drive running continually?

once it's been charged for a while try to unplug and see if it'll start up (without holding any buttons)

if the hard drive starts to spin(you'LL hear it) and hten it shut down and starts back up it may be the hard drive

rick1549
Noob
Noob

Post by rick1549 » October 16th, 2007, 8:38 pm

ilandboi14 wrote:alright!

so far so good.

ok so when it's plugged into your computer does it show up on the "my computer" or does is it just charging ?

is the hard drive running continually?

once it's been charged for a while try to unplug and see if it'll start up (without holding any buttons)

if the hard drive starts to spin(you'LL hear it) and hten it shut down and starts back up it may be the hard drive
Ok thanks. Yes, the hard drive is spinning continally. I will let it charge for awhile and then disconnect it. No my computer doesn't see it. I don't understand why the hard drive worked in the beginning before I changed the LCD. Thanks for your help again!

ilandboi14
VIP
VIP

Post by ilandboi14 » October 16th, 2007, 8:42 pm

ok so did you switch out the lcd yourself?

when you took apart the ipod you must have RE-CONNECTED

the hardrive RIBBON insecurely

take the ipod apart if you did the install and check the ribbon locks make shure that they are locked down and that the hard drive is fully intact

if theres any other problems let me know.

i've been through this problem.

rick1549
Noob
Noob

Post by rick1549 » October 16th, 2007, 8:45 pm

ilandboi14 wrote:ok so did you switch out the lcd yourself?

when you took apart the ipod you must have RE-CONNECTED

the hardrive RIBBON insecurely

take the ipod apart if you did the install and check the ribbon locks make shure that they are locked down and that the hard drive is fully intact

if theres any other problems let me know.

i've been through this problem.
Yes, I change the LCD myself. The ribbon lock is okay on the logic board, but I broke it off on the hard drive. The ribbon seems to be staying in place on the hardrive. Thanks again..

ilandboi14
VIP
VIP

Post by ilandboi14 » October 16th, 2007, 8:48 pm

" Broke it off " ?

ok so on the hard drive lift the clip and place the ribbon in there then push the clip down and lock it back up then reassemble the ipod and try to plug into the compo once again and tell me what happens this time.

if nothing then tell what happens when it starts up if it does.

rick1549
Noob
Noob

Post by rick1549 » October 16th, 2007, 8:53 pm

ilandboi14 wrote:" Broke it off " ?

ok so on the hard drive lift the clip and place the ribbon in there then push the clip down and lock it back up then reassemble the ipod and try to plug into the compo once again and tell me what happens this time.

if nothing then tell what happens when it starts up if it does.
Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly. The clip on the hard drive (black) broke off. I opened and closed it many times. I can try and slide the ribbon again back into the hard drive and see if this helps. I hope I don't need a new hard drive because of the broken clip.

ilandboi14
VIP
VIP

Post by ilandboi14 » October 16th, 2007, 8:58 pm

you wouldn't need a new hard drive just like the ipod the hard drive has a mother board itself that you can replace but it's a hard one to get to.

the EASIEST way to fix this problem would be to get a new black clip.

on my psp this happened to the screen lock.

you just need a new black peice for the lock.

the little black thing you broke off , you can get a new one but ion where. one thing you can try is to use super glue around the area and glue the ribbbon around the hard drive so that it stays in place

iono..

you can figure somthing out.

(the glue thing i did that with my psp/screen. )

rick1549
Noob
Noob

Post by rick1549 » October 16th, 2007, 9:01 pm

ilandboi14 wrote:you wouldn't need a new hard drive just like the ipod the hard drive has a mother board itself that you can replace but it's a hard one to get to.

the little black thing you broke off , you can get a new one but ion where. one thing you can try is to use super glue around the area and glue the ribbbon around the hard drive so that it stays in place

Okay, I will try the super glue to hold the ribbon in place. I do have another hard drive that is on a dead 30gb video. But the glue sound easier. Thank you!!!

iono..

you can figure somthing out.

deannali
Noob
Noob

Re: Ipod Video 5.5g sad face error after LCD replacement.

Post by deannali » July 9th, 2009, 2:52 am

How to take music from one ipod and putting it to my itunes library? My cousin let me borrow his ipod and it has over 500 songs. I want to take those songs and put it all in my itunes library but when ever i try to sync, it said i have to erase the songs on the ipod. How do i take his songs from his ipod and put it into my library without the getting the songs erased? The ipod version is the new ipod nano.

blind802
Noob
Noob
My Device: ipod
I've owned this device for: Over 5 years.

Post by blind802 » November 17th, 2010, 10:03 pm

I had this same problem with my hard drive except when I hit the select button and the play button the sad face showed back up. PS i had just replaced the hard drive but put it in a new ipod. please help me! desperate user here

ihanna
Noob
Noob
My Device: iPod
I've owned this device for: Over 6 months.

Re:

Post by ihanna » May 30th, 2012, 8:30 am

ilandboi14 wrote:you wouldn't need a new hard drive just like the ipod the hard drive has a mother board itself that you can replace but it's a hard one to get to.

iono..

I bought a new black piece for the lock but it is still NOT WORKING! Do you have any other way to fix this thing? I just borrowed my brother's iPod and I am good as a dead meat when he knows. PLEASE HELP ME OR I WILL JUST JUMP OUT OF THE WINDOW :(((

“Love is friendship, set on fire.”- Jeremy Taylor

Last edited by ihanna on July 5th, 2012, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaffspage
My Device: Cell Phone

Post by jaffspage » June 6th, 2012, 5:08 am

I am trying to download new songs for my ipod, but whenever I plug my ipod into the USB, a message comes up saying that I my iPod needs itunes version 7.6 or something, and I can't use it on itunes.

Onlifecome68
Noob
Noob
My Device: Smartphone

Post by Onlifecome68 » September 23rd, 2016, 7:59 am

jaffspage wrote:I am trying to download new songs for my ipod, but whenever I plug my ipod into the USB, a message comes up saying that I my iPod needs itunes version 7.6 or something, and I can't use it on itunes.
then you must get that version