iPad Mini LCD issue after Digitizer replacement.

Talk specifically about iPad Mini and iPad Mini Retina here.

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

airickcf
Noob
Noob
My Device: Motorola Droid X2
I've owned this device for: Over 5 years.

iPad Mini LCD issue after Digitizer replacement.

Post by airickcf » February 13th, 2015, 11:58 pm

Hello. Let me start off by saying I have about 6yrs combined experience with electronic repair.
Today I had a job to repair an iPad Mini Digitizer. I tested the LCD and original Digitizer looking for any defects that may impede the repair process. I could not appreciate any defects except for the shattered original Digitizer.
I successfully removed the original Digitizer from the metal housing, tested the LCD for functionality with no defect. I then removed the 4 screws holding the LCD in to the frame and set it on top of the Digitizer I just removed. I then removed the metal back plate and plate securing the connections to the mainboard.
Now, I have had issues in the past with blowing the QFuse on the mainboard because of mistakenly removing the LCD and Digitizer connectors before the battery. This causes a spike in voltage, therefore blowing fuses... Usually when this happens the LCD will display a picture, but will not have a backlight. I was able to rectify that mistake by bypassing the fuse and jumping the connection directly. That solved the problem and the repair completed successfully.

So, with that in mind, I made sure the battery connection was the first removed. Anywho. I've done everything by the book (if there is one) and my problem is as the picture I've attached shows. The entire LCD is grayed out with only the left half barely visible. Backlight functions properly. Replacement Digitizer is not defective, but LCD is mysteriously damaged? I've NEVER seen this before. I've been scratching my head for HOURS.

Please, Help? Will a replacement LCD be necessary? Or am I missing something??

RapidRepair
Founder
Founder

Re: iPad Mini LCD issue after Digitizer replacement.

Post by RapidRepair » August 15th, 2016, 4:38 pm

Looks like somehow the LCD was damaged... most likely at the flex cable or on the board side clip.

Sullivan3
Noob
Noob
My Device: iPad
I've owned this device for: A year or two.

Re: iPad Mini LCD issue after Digitizer replacement.

Post by Sullivan3 » October 4th, 2016, 2:18 am

Same kind of thing happened to my ipad. Is it easy to replace the screen? How did you get on airickcf?