ipod w/ internal FM reciever

Have a new idea? Put it here

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

dkeating91
Noob
Noob

ipod w/ internal FM reciever

Post by dkeating91 » April 7th, 2007, 6:44 pm

i was wondering if its possible to build an iPod with an internal FM reciever. i was thinking of switching out the hard drive in a 4G for a CF card, to create extra space, and then maybe cannabilizing one of the already existing FM tuners. would it be possible to get it to interface with podzilla linux?

ipodhelp_bellevue

Post by ipodhelp_bellevue » April 9th, 2007, 10:40 pm

If you get the right type of CF card and fashion an IDE cable to connect to it then maybe that could work. Getting the FM tuner to connect with the iPod board and programming a linux module to support it would be tough. any major hardware modification like that would likely cause the iPod firmware to stop working correctly, so podzilla would be vital.

Easier then replacing the hard drive with a CF card would be putting a large back plate on an iPod that has a smaller HD (meaning smaller back plate) to give more space.

Trying this wouldn't be smart unless you know the complete ins and outs of the iPod's main board and also how to program a linux kernel module for podzilla to support the change in hardware.

If you got a hold of one of those FM tuners that connects to the dock and sends out to a car stereo then you could easily solder the wires to the right pins inside of the iPod to give the iPod the ability to send out when ever you wanted. This would decrease your battery life, since the adapter would always be running off the iPod. You could also mess with that to have it take in FM.

This is something I have personally wanted for a while, I'm gonna look into it.

ilandboi14
VIP
VIP

Post by ilandboi14 » April 20th, 2007, 9:55 pm

buy the ipod radio remote and you can have it soldered into where the remaining part of the hard was or is

the official apple ipod radio remote is running about 50 i had one once but i got tired of it then it was stolen from me .