Zune 120gb with 128gb SSD

Have a new idea? Put it here

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

timelord
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune
I've owned this device for: A year or two.

Zune 120gb with 128gb SSD

Post by timelord » May 21st, 2012, 10:14 am

Hi guys
Just wondering if it's possible to upgrade the 120gb hard drive in a zune to a 128gb SSD? I've had the hard drive replaced in one zune 120gb and bought a second one where the hard drive is dead. Rather than hope that my first zune will work forever I'm thinking just swap out the dead hard drive with an SSD. Is this doable, and more importantly, would you guys be able to do it? :-)

ColorEnvy

Re: Zune 120gb with 128gb SSD

Post by ColorEnvy » May 21st, 2012, 9:02 pm

We have not as of yet made an attempt to test any SSDs on the Zune 2. This is something that we are currently working on and if we find compatible drives we will bring them to market.

timelord
Noob
Noob

Post by timelord » May 23rd, 2012, 2:49 am

Sweet! I really hope you find something, 'cause as much as I love my zune, I'm hating the dodgy hard drives :-)

timelord
Noob
Noob

Post by timelord » November 2nd, 2012, 10:11 am

Hi again guys
Been doing a little research of my own and found this... http://www.memoryc.com/storage/solidsta ... 40pin.html which, to my admittedly noobish eye, looks like it might do the job. The specs say it's a 1.8" form factor and it looks like it's 5mm thick (like the Samsung HS12YHA 120GB). What would your much more expert opinion be of this? :-)

gigivarnum
Noob
Noob
I've owned this device for: Over 5 years.

Post by gigivarnum » December 22nd, 2013, 11:34 am

Hey timelord, did you ever find a way to resolve/upgrade to an SDD? My 120GB also went to 'puter heaven, and I'd love to resurrect her with a solid state drive if ther's the slightest chance of salvage. Otherwise I'm left with a fairly expensive paperweight. It seems like with all the advances and shrinking of SSD, that finding a size-compatible drive wouldn't be nearly so big an issue as the PATA/SATA incompatibility. I'm very much stuck in the mid-90's when it comes to technical chops, but when I see my Mr. Wizard this week I'll be sure to ask him about this little pipe dream of ours and report back on his answer.

ColorEnvy: Have you guys done any more digging into the feasibility of this type of upgrade or heard of it working for anyone? I've been completely unable to find much recent forum chatter about zunes in general... Has technology passed my precious by??

timelord
Noob
Noob

Post by timelord » July 16th, 2015, 1:07 am

Sorry Gigivarnum... I've been away from the board for a while and just got interested in updating the drive in my zune again :-) I haven't looked any further into it, but I'm starting to again. I'm thinking the Zif -> CF adapter idea might be the way to go (http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Cables ... 004FD1D2C/), but I think I need to bite the bullet and actually _try_ to do it with my old dead zune to get it running again. If I ever get it running again I'll post back here to let you know of my success (or, more probably, failure :-) )

gigivarnum
Noob
Noob
I've owned this device for: Over 5 years.

Post by gigivarnum » July 16th, 2015, 8:42 am

That would be awesome. I actually bought a drive that I think will work but haven't had any time or money to have it installed and don't trust myself to do it. Please do let me know how it goes!