iPod Video (5.5) Compatible HDD's

Open for all iPod related questions

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

thousand-knives
Noob
Noob
My Device: ipod
I've owned this device for: A year or two.

iPod Video (5.5) Compatible HDD's

Post by thousand-knives » May 1st, 2012, 5:34 pm

Hey what's up guys.

I'm looking to upgrade my broken iPod. I've acquired a new battery and it's charging fine. Now I just need to replace the hard drive. Judging by what I've read online, many people seem to be having trouble finding compatible hard drives for the iPod video. So if possible I'd like to get some solid answers here, and I figured the guys at Rapid Repair are most qualified to supply said answers!

I have a 30gb iPod video (5.5 - slim), currently installed with a [broken] Hitachi Travelstar HDD.

I have spent what must be coming onto 2 days researching but have had no luck in finding a HDD which is tested and guaranteed to work in this type of iPod. Everyone seems to think different things, some saying one HDD will definitely work, and others saying the same one will not.

Can anyone tell me what hard drives have been tested and will definitely work with my iPod? Bear in mind I'm in Europe (UK), not sure if that makes any difference...

I'm looking to upgrade to 120gb or larger. I have both a slim and a larger backplate to fit an 8mm HDD in. Although I'd like to stick to a hard drive that fits the slim back if possible.

Thanks a lot for any help you can give.

jaffspage
My Device: Cell Phone
I've owned this device for: Over 6 months.

Re: iPod Video (5.5) Compatible HDD's

Post by jaffspage » May 3rd, 2012, 5:47 am

I want to get the iPod Video 5.5 generation 30gb or 80gb, how long is the battery life for music and video. And how many videos can it hold (like in hours or something). I have all ten seasons of The Simpsons, how much of the memory will it take up?

-------------------
Indian short stories

thousand-knives
Noob
Noob
My Device: ipod

Post by thousand-knives » May 16th, 2012, 3:48 pm

No info guys?

augerlangdon
Noob
Noob
My Device: iPod touch

Post by augerlangdon » May 22nd, 2012, 2:59 am

Here's a link to an old post on this site that shows a list of ZIF drives compatible with the iPod 5th gen to Classic 7 gen. I have personally installed a Toshiba MK1231GAL. However, if you do pick this drive, make sure that there is no Apple logo on the label. I've seen some reports that these drives are made especially for the Classic 6th gen. I bought one a while ago that had the Apple logo on it and was never able to get it to work (I was unable to format it using both a Mac and Windows machine). I just picked one up recently that did NOT have a Apple logo and was successful (installed it in the iPod, started up iTunes which warned that the drive needed to be formatted, which I did using Disk Utility, after which iTunes did a restore and I now have an iPod that has 111GB of storage). Since I don't have any experience with any other drive, I can not comment on them. Hope this helps.

viewtopic.php?t=2672&p=7398