30GB iPod upgraded to 240GB is RAM limited

Open for all iPod related questions

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

don_the_greek
My Device: iPad
I've owned this device for: A year or two.
Location: Appletown, USA... the westside, in a van...down by the river...

Re: 30GB iPod upgraded to 240GB is RAM limited

Post by don_the_greek » February 17th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Just to clarify,

The iPod Video 30GB unit is NOT compatible with the 240GB HD upgrade. It is physically compatible, but the firmware on the mainboard of a Video that was originally 30GB will not properly support a 240GB HD.

Don The Greek
Rapid Repair

WildmaN+86
Noob
Noob
My Device: Ipod 160gb

Post by WildmaN+86 » April 29th, 2011, 2:53 am

ColorEnvy wrote:We have certainly had units work with no problem, however there are some rules that must be followed.

Here’s a quick guide on how to make the most of your 240GB iPod.
The 240GB Harddrive is compatible only with 5th generation iPod Video and only if the original hard drive was 60GB or 80GB. The 240GB drive is not compatible with the 30GB models.

This is due to the RAM on the board, it needs to be 64MB

Loading & Playing Music:
To properly sync more than 30,000 songs on your 240GB iPod, they must be in playlists. You should group your music library in one or more playlists of 30,000 songs or less each, then load the iPod. For help with playlists check out, how to create a playlist (http://www.apple.com/itunes/how-to/#video-playlists).

The iPod is not capable of properly indexing more than 30000 songs (32768 to be exact) if they are all in one list, it is required that if your library consists of more songs than this it must be put into playlists.

If you have properly loaded more than 30,000 songs, they will all play. However, hitting “shuffle songs” from the main music menu won’t work properly since it would create an active list of more than 30,000. You can still shuffle an entire playlist of up to 30,000 songs.

I hope this information is helpful.
I am new here, but have been browsing since I got my 240gb hard drive.

So I followed your suggestions, and made a couple of playlists. I have a total right now, of 31k songs. One playlist has 16k or so, and the other one has 15 or so. I am also running on Windows 7 Ultimate, with the most recent Itunes.

I got a 80gb 5th generation Ipod, and replaced the logic board brand new. Also I got the upgrade battery to handle the massive 240gb hard drive. My problem is, when I properly eject it from Itunes. The Ipod just shows the apple on the screen, and wont boot to the regular menu. I tried to use Floola, but I couldn't get it to work. Anyway any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance.

WildmaN+86
Noob
Noob

Post by WildmaN+86 » April 30th, 2011, 6:52 am

Hey Richie: It seems you are quite knowledgeable in this area. I could really use your help. I tried using Floola, and it wouldn't work with my 80gb Ipod with the 240gb hard drive. Do you have any suggestions or tips? And if possible, could you help me figure out how to use gnupod? I just want to be able to use the capacity of the hard drive. I spent some money on it, and I am quite irritated that it is a paperweight right now. Oh, I also wanted to mention, I am running the current itunes with Windows 7 ultimate.

RichieB

Post by RichieB » May 2nd, 2011, 1:10 pm

@WildmaN+86: you have to give a lot more detail for someone is able to help you. You said you tried Floola, but couldn't get it to work. What exactly does not work? Does Floola give rrors? If so, which?

Gnupod is a command line tool that requires cygwin. I only recommend it for experienced users.

WildmaN+86
Noob
Noob

Post by WildmaN+86 » May 3rd, 2011, 3:45 pm

RichieB wrote:@WildmaN+86: you have to give a lot more detail for someone is able to help you. You said you tried Floola, but couldn't get it to work. What exactly does not work? Does Floola give rrors? If so, which?

Gnupod is a command line tool that requires cygwin. I only recommend it for experienced users.
Floola said I had a newer version of Itunes installed. So it wouldn't work with my Ipod. Songbird wouldn't even recognize it for some reason. And I recently tried Rockbox. I put just over 10k songs using it, and when I boot up to the main Rockbox screen, it freezes. I think Gnupod is all I got left. Hope that helps, and thanks for your response.

And if I try everything I possibly can, and the I can't fill the Ipod hard drive. I am getting rid of it, and getting the Archos player. I am quite fed up with Apple products.

RichieB

Post by RichieB » May 3rd, 2011, 3:56 pm

WildmaN+86 wrote:Floola said I had a newer version of Itunes installed. So it wouldn't work with my Ipod.
Floola is an iTunes replacement. It doesn't need iTunes in any way once you have a working iPod with at least 1 song on it. Did you try to file a Floola bug report?

WildmaN+86
Noob
Noob

Post by WildmaN+86 » May 5th, 2011, 7:49 am

RichieB wrote:
WildmaN+86 wrote:Floola said I had a newer version of Itunes installed. So it wouldn't work with my Ipod.
Floola is an iTunes replacement. It doesn't need iTunes in any way once you have a working iPod with at least 1 song on it. Did you try to file a Floola bug report?
That is what I thought. But why would it tell me that it wont work, because it detected a newer version of Itunes? Basically what it said, is that it would cause problems. And the program may not work right. Anyway, I am just about out of tricks. Oh, what does "dir buffer full" mean? That shows up on my Ipod screen, after creating a playlist. Or trying to resume the last one. And to note, this message appears on my Rockbox screen on the Ipod.

Sorry for not getting back on here. I had some other things going on. Thank you for your input. Hopefully you can help me figure out how to get my Ipod to work. So I can fill up my 240gb hard drive. I have spent close to $300 including getting the Ipod to do the upgrade. It is quite frustrating, when I seemed to have wasted the time and money on this. How hard would it be to use gnupod? I am willing to learn things. Since it has worked for you wonderfully. I would love to give it a shot. Let me know, and keep the suggestions coming. ;)

WildmaN+86
Noob
Noob

Post by WildmaN+86 » May 13th, 2011, 7:30 am

Update.....I decided to give my Ipod a break. And I just started messing with it the other day. I decided to restore it again. I tried Floola, and it started working. But then said my version of Itunes was newer, and may cause problems. So I gave Rockbox another try. So far so good. I am up to close to 20k songs, and it still is working. I am slowly putting music on it. I even got the album artwork to function.

I still do have one question. What does "playlist buffer full" mean? I tried searching on the web about it. But didn't come up with anything. Any insight on this, would be greatly appreciated. Oh, also how do I get the USB function to work? So I can play it on my car stereo? It says on my stereo screen. "restricted" I am currently running it in my car with the auxillary port. I would just like to use the USB if possible. Thanks.

RichieB

Post by RichieB » May 13th, 2011, 8:52 am

I played with Rockbox as well, but the reason I did not stick with it, is that my headset only supports the stock iPod firmware. With Rockbox I could play music, but could not advance to the next track, or see any track info on my headset. I did get music using the dock connector though. You mention USB, are you trying to use the iPod as a USB drive in your car?

WildmaN+86
Noob
Noob

Post by WildmaN+86 » May 20th, 2011, 5:23 am

RichieB wrote:I played with Rockbox as well, but the reason I did not stick with it, is that my headset only supports the stock iPod firmware. With Rockbox I could play music, but could not advance to the next track, or see any track info on my headset. I did get music using the dock connector though. You mention USB, are you trying to use the iPod as a USB drive in your car?
When talking about your headset. Are you referring to a wireless type like blue tooth? And my earphones work just fine. I listen to my Ipod all day at work. Anyway, I can use my auxillary port on my JVC car stereo. in the earphone jack, and I can play my Ipod fine with Rockbox. Just when I try to plug it into the USB, with the Ipod port. The screen on my stereo says restricted. It would be nice to control my Ipod through my stereo. Any thoughts on that? Otherwise I about 35k songs, and the Ipod is still going well. I also figured out how to get the album artwork on it also.

Also do you know what the best battery I could get for this 240gb drive? It seems to eat the batteries more.

RichieB

Post by RichieB » May 20th, 2011, 6:12 am

I meant to say head unit, meaning my dashboard car radio unit. The issue you have not being able to control the iPod with your car radio is because Rockbox does not support the control protocol.

I always have my iPod plugged in to my car, so it is always charging. I've also never used it with the original hard drive, so I cannot comment on additional battery drain.

WildmaN+86
Noob
Noob

Post by WildmaN+86 » May 31st, 2011, 2:53 am

RichieB wrote:I meant to say head unit, meaning my dashboard car radio unit. The issue you have not being able to control the iPod with your car radio is because Rockbox does not support the control protocol.

I always have my iPod plugged in to my car, so it is always charging. I've also never used it with the original hard drive, so I cannot comment on additional battery drain.
'
Ahh okay, I gotcha man. Thanks for letting me know that Rockbox doesn't support USB. Hopefully sometime in the future, they will though.

Another problem I have is, my Ipod will turn back on when I shut it down. Is this a common problem? Or do I have a glitch or bug somewhere in the system?

RichieB

Post by RichieB » May 31st, 2011, 1:10 pm

I have no problem with my iPod staying off. Might be a RockBox bug.

jaffspage
My Device: Cell Phone
I've owned this device for: Over 6 months.

Post by jaffspage » March 2nd, 2012, 3:40 am

I just began having a problem where the power supply pipes too quick now on my improved 240GB Mp3 player device.. It was the 60GB Mp3 player device initially and ran excellent.. I got 15-17 time out of the power supply for sound play-back. now It pipes after 3-4. I had to change the mother board (with the sameone) and changed the power supply again and now its getting more intense. Has anyone else knowledgeable this?

E-book download | Homeopathy advice | Indian short stories

Mr Odd
Noob
Noob
My Device: iPod

Post by Mr Odd » April 11th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Does the 240gb 7th gen iPod Classic have the same issues with supporting a large number of files as the upgraded 5.5 gen model?

RichieB

Post by RichieB » April 12th, 2012, 1:22 am

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iPod_models there is no 7th gen iPod Classic. There is only a 240gb upgrade for the 5th gen iPod that I know of.

Mr Odd
Noob
Noob
My Device: iPod

Post by Mr Odd » April 12th, 2012, 10:59 am

These good folks at RR have made a 240gb drive in a Classic work: http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/1999-re ... assic.html

RichieB

Post by RichieB » April 12th, 2012, 2:44 pm

Cool, I wasn't aware of that. Assuming the 7th gen is the current (2009) model, it was designed for 160 GB. This almost certainly means it has more RAM than the 5.5th gen which was designed for 80 GB. It is very possible though that there still is a 30,000 song per playlist limit. This seems to be a software limit since Rockbox does not have that issue.

jaffspage
My Device: Cell Phone
I've owned this device for: Over 6 months.

Post by jaffspage » May 3rd, 2012, 5:49 am

It's been a while since the last upgrade to this line. How has everyone been interacting with stuffing up their 240gb iPods? I'm considering getting one but I'm careful of the basketball I'll have to leap through to get more than 30000 paths on it.

--------------------------
Indian short stories