Zune 80GB error 5 issue

Zune Parts, Discussion, Upgrades & Repair

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

AthlonII240
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune 80GB
I've owned this device for: I just bought it.

Zune 80GB error 5 issue

Post by AthlonII240 » August 4th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Hey folks, believe it or not, even in 2014, people are still buying Zunes!

Anyway, I bought a Zune from eBay with the only issue being it had a bad battery. So I ordered a battery from RapidRepair(thanks a ton guys, battery worked great! :D ), I install it, and start charging the Zune.

While the case is off, I notice that the ZIF cable looks bent a little too far around the charging port base, almost like it's pinched. I don't think anything of it, because the "only thing that was wrong was a bad battery", according to the eBay listing.

So, I power it up, and attempt to restore it with the Zune software, and it either gets up to 23%, or fails outright. I also get cryptic errors about update issues. After researching these errors, it points to either: A: a bad HDD, or B: a bad motherboard. I take it apart to reseat the ZIF cable, just in case, and now I'm getting the dreaded Error 5 right on the Zune itself.

I've got a ZIF cable on order from RapidRepair(again, thanks guys!) but I figured I'd ask here anyway. The HDD doesn't sound like it's making any bad noises(repetitive clicking, grinding, whining), sounds like it spins up just fine, so I'm thinking either bad motherboard(even though it boots), or bad ZIF cable.

Any thoughts?

AthlonII240
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune 80GB
I've owned this device for: I just bought it.

Re: Zune 80GB error 5 issue

Post by AthlonII240 » August 7th, 2014, 12:46 pm

Just got my replacement ZIF cable, installed it, and it works like a charm!

Big shoutout to the guys at RapidRepair for still having these parts in stock and fast shipping!

Thanks so much!