Zune 80GB Repair or Find Something New?

Zune Parts, Discussion, Upgrades & Repair

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

nathanje25
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune
I've owned this device for: Over 5 years.

Zune 80GB Repair or Find Something New?

Post by nathanje25 » October 5th, 2013, 3:10 am

Hello,

I've been having increasing issues with my Zune 80GB device and it finally reached the point that its either dead and I need to move on...or thankfully I found your site that still looks active. I had no idea that there was a repair service still available for the Zune and was about to give up all hope of ever using it again. I've had it for several years and am perfectly happy with it...as long as its working correctly...

The past year off and on I've been having issues with connectivity and syncing. The first time I noticed a problem was shortly after I updated it from the last Microsoft update. The Zune worked fine unless I let it completely turn off. When I tried to start it up again, it would give me the back light only and no on screen display. I tried restarting it several times but nothing happened, so I decided to reformat my Zune and reload everything on it again. That worked a few times and I got tired of dealing with that over and over. I searched the net and figured it was due to the last firmware update and that it was specifically meant for the HD Zunes and that's why it was messing up my 80GB one. I was able to downgrade the firmware and the problem was solved. However, I accidentally updated it again and since then it has been having sync issues. I plug it into my computer and it charges just fine and even automatically connects to the Zune software like its supposed to. When I try to sync anything to it, it starts up and then tells me it did not add it to the device because it has been disconnected...even though its not. For awhile I was able to keep what I already had, I just couldn't add anything to it...which wasn't too big of a deal as long as I didn't lose anything. I tried to find the 2.5 version again to fix the problem, but every link to download it has been updated with the most recent version. Like Microsoft found every old version and forced them to update.

Right now the issue has gotten even more serious as the last time I tried to sync my zune...somehow it erased everything on my device! Its all gone! Also, it still wouldn't sync anything to it. I tried reformatting it so as to start fresh, but now it won't even update my Zune with the firmware. Every time it starts updating the device it says it failed because it doesn't have enough room...which I just erased everything on it...so now I've determined it might not be a firmware version issue as much as it is a corrupt/tired hard drive issue. Which lead me here. Everything about my Zune works fine as far as I can tell...except the lock switch doesn't work anymore. Other than that and the sync problem it works fine.

I guess my question is, can you tell me if my diagnoses is correct? A bad hard drive? Is it a firmware version issue? And would it be better for me to send it in for repairs? Or just give up and get something different?

My problem is so bad...I actually downloaded iTunes the other day...any ideas would be appreciative. Also, looking around in your Zune repair parts section I specifically looked in the Zune 80GB section, and I saw a 120GB hard drive. Would the 120GB work well on my 80GB if I decided to replace it? If I can find a solution for keeping my 80GB at this time I would love that. However, I have a lot of music and I'm always getting new stuff. I was thinking about getting more room on my device if possible. If we can't fix this one but can upgrade the hard drive space, that might be more worth it to me. If my Zune is toast and not ever going to work anymore, then I'd just look for something different and in a larger capacity size.

Thank you in advance for reading my rant and any ideas you can help me with.

NegMawon
Noob
Noob
My Device: zune

Re: Zune 80GB Repair or Find Something New?

Post by NegMawon » October 31st, 2013, 10:39 pm

Have you tried a new V2 sync cable? If so, HD might be issue.
Regardless, rapid repair definitely can fix. If zune issue. Hope
This helps you.

nathanje25
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune

Re: Zune 80GB Repair or Find Something New?

Post by nathanje25 » November 1st, 2013, 12:48 pm

I just sent it in last week and should be getting it back fixed soon. Turns out it was the hard drive. I also am getting a capacity upgrade to 120GB. Saved me a couple hundred dollars fixing it, instead of getting a new one that I might not like. Hopefully this is what does the trick and it will last me for a few more years. Thanks for the reply!