Zune Parts, Discussion, Upgrades & Repair

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

Owald
Noob
Noob

Zune 80 wants to work but doesn't

Post by Owald » July 28th, 2013, 11:59 am

Hey guys,

I'm working on another Zune 80. I'm not exactly certain what's wrong with it. The condition of the device seems a bit worn, but the owner said that it was working fine then while playing, it just stopped. It doesn't seem to take a charge, however with the cord plugged into the device, when I press play, I can hear a really fine high pitch frequency whine from the unit that will run about 10 seconds or so, then it will stop. It's not a strong pronounced sound - I have to hold the unit up to my ear to hear it. One thing I am noticing is that when I remove the cord from the unit prior to a 10 second or so count, the whine from the unit will cease. I never hear the hard drive engage though - no spinning or such.

I know it's hard to make any guesses on what the problem might be. Considering that it stops it's high pitched sound, I'm thinking it's a problem with the battery. What would your thoughts be initially?

bvronko

Re: Zune 80 wants to work but doesn't

Post by bvronko » July 31st, 2013, 10:34 am

Well the first place to look would be the battery if the unit doesn't have enough charge to boot. It's hard to say if the whine would be caused by a failed motherboard or not. You really won't be able to do anything though unless you open up the unit. If you are not comfortable with that we do offer a free diagnostic service. Here is a link to get started. http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/zune-re ... vices.html