Compatible hard drives for Zune 30gb

Zune Parts, Discussion, Upgrades & Repair

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

giordano1000
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune 30GB
I've owned this device for: Over 5 years.

Compatible hard drives for Zune 30gb

Post by giordano1000 » May 23rd, 2013, 10:29 am

Hi there,

I have had my trusty 1st generation Zune 30gb for several years now, and I am interested in upgrading the hard drive to 120 GB. After doing some research, I purchased a Toshiba MK1214GAH HDD1901 120GB 1.8" on Amazon. I took apart my Zune and installed it. It appeared to be functioning just fine. The new firmware installed itself, and my computer recognized the Zune and recognized the new hard drive capacity. I started loading it up with music and everything appeared normal. Unfortunately, the hard drive itself was a little too thick to fit comfortably in the Zune casing. It made the casing bulge slightly.

I returned the hard drive and ordered a new 120 GB hard drive. The new one was a Toshiba MK1231GAL 120GB 1.8" 5mm. It fit perfectly in the Zune casing, but it did not function as a hard drive. I later learned that these hard drives do not function in 1st gen. Zunes.

So I returned that one, too, and now I am looking. But the research is confusing and often contradictory. The Hard Drive Compatibility Chart on this forum does not list any 120 GB hard drives that are compatible with the Zune 30GB, although the first one I purchased was compatible (albeit too big).

I guess these are my questions:
Are there any 120 GB hard drives for the Zune 30 that actually fit?
I noticed two 80GB hard drives on the chart that are compatible with the Zune 30. Are there any others?
Out of those two listed on the chart, how can I go about purchasing one?
If I search for "Toshiba MK8009GAH" or "Samsung HS082HB" on Amazon, will that be enough?

Thanks for your help!

Jblack6527
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune 30
I've owned this device for: A year or two.

Re: Compatible hard drives for Zune 30gb

Post by Jblack6527 » September 8th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Interesting question. I purchased a Samsung HS12YHA for my Zune 30, and can't get it to work either. It keeps giving me the CD00124f-not enough free space error.