Upgraded Zune 30GB hard drive to 80GB. Having issues.

Zune Parts, Discussion, Upgrades & Repair

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

Ajayster
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune
I've owned this device for: Over 5 years.

Upgraded Zune 30GB hard drive to 80GB. Having issues.

Post by Ajayster » October 22nd, 2012, 10:37 pm

I have a 30GB Zune whose hard drive has recently gone bad. I decided since I have to replace it why not get a bigger hard drive for it. So, I bought an 80GB hard drive, installed it, but now I am having problems. When it came on it jumped to a screen with a 3 inside a green circle and says please wait. This screen never changes, until the battery dies. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mikey
My Device: iPod Touch 3rd Gen
I've owned this device for: A year or two.

Re: Upgraded Zune 30GB hard drive to 80GB. Having issues.

Post by Mikey » October 23rd, 2012, 9:00 am

I would open the device back up and check to make sure that the IDE ribbon is plugged in properly...all connections really. Once a drive is installed properly, it should format once plugged into your computer with the Zune software running. Also, what make and model drive is it? Did you verify that the particular drive will indeed work on a Zune? Not all drives will work on all units...

Ajayster
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune
I've owned this device for: Over 5 years.

Post by Ajayster » October 27th, 2012, 3:43 pm

I just found that hard drive compatibility chart, as it turns out that hard drive wasn't compatible. So I bought a Samsung HS082HB hard drive, but so far all I have gotten on the screen is a message that says "5 contact support" in 3 different languages.

Mikey
My Device: iPod Touch 3rd Gen
I've owned this device for: A year or two.

Post by Mikey » October 29th, 2012, 8:47 am

The IDE ribbon may be damaged, which can give yo the error 5 message. Also, the drive may be bad, but if you brought it brand new, thats a slim chance. You may need to purchase the IDE and try it again.

We do offer repairs on that also if you want to have us install your drive and IDE ribbon.