120 GB Headphone Jack?

Zune Parts, Discussion, Upgrades & Repair

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

Parallax
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune 120
I've owned this device for: A year or two.

120 GB Headphone Jack?

Post by Parallax » April 16th, 2012, 6:35 pm

I've had a refurbished 120 gb black zune since December of '09 and I have had exactly one problem out of it. At some point in the past year, it's developed what is actually a pair of problems that have to be related. I only get audio out of one side of any output device, headphone, radio transmitter, speakers, etc, and the zune locks unless there is something in the headphone jack.

This hasn't really been a problem until today, when I finally got the zune car kit that I ordered, thinking I had circumvented the problem since its transmitter plugs into the data port instead of the headphone jack. I appear to have forgotten an important bit, though. Since there's nothing in the headphone jack, it doesn't unlock. If I put something into the headphone jack, the audio output defaults to that.

So, understanding that it's assuredly a hardware issue, is it the headphone jack/antenna assembly and how much would the labor on that run to have that repaired? I understand that it's likely not a terribly difficult thing to replace myself, but I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the difference in cost between having it done by the pros or buying all of the tools I'd need to do it myself and risk screwing it up.

bvronko

Re: 120 GB Headphone Jack?

Post by bvronko » April 17th, 2012, 10:14 pm

The Zune 2 Headphone jack is $49.99. We offer free installation for this part so the only difference in price between professional and self installation would be the cost of return shipping. Currently our UPS ground rate is $8.99. Here is a link to get started http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/3126-mi ... -jack.html

All you have to do is add that item to your basket and checkout. Once the invoice is generated at the end print a copy of it and include that invoice with the unit when you send it in. Thanks!

Parallax
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune 120
I've owned this device for: A year or two.

Re: 120 GB Headphone Jack?

Post by Parallax » April 18th, 2012, 8:07 pm

That's really good to know, but does it sound like I'm on the right track with my diagnosis?