Zune Parts, Discussion, Upgrades & Repair

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

Owald
Noob
Noob

Need help determining the issue

Post by Owald » December 13th, 2011, 9:58 pm

Hello Board,

I need your input regarding a particular issue. I think I may already know the problem, but I figured I'd get some outside input on this as well.

So I have a Zune 30GB first gen. Well, it's definitely gone through a bit of wear and tear and it's also been dropped a few times, but I think this time, it just couldn't dodge death. Here's what I did most recently:

I had it connected to the computer to sync data; that operation worked just fine, however I had been noticing something lately in where after it was done doing the sync, it would reset itself then boot up. The sync would need to run another time over to truly have accurate data (Not so much my concern, but I mention that in case it helps with the real issue). After the most recent sync, it rebooted as it always has been doing recently, but this time, it boots up to a dark screen. The Zune logo will appear and the loading scroll bar on the bottom with grow from left to right as it always has, but then, it goes black. Usually at this time, the Zune OS will load up and allow me to choose between music, videos, pictures, etc., but this time - nothing.

Now, with all the drops it's gone through, I'm pretty certain it's probably the hard disk; in fact, There have been some times when I heard the hard drive click, so I knew the drive was falling on it's last leg.

All I'm trying to do is determine for certain that it's a hard drive issue in where I would just need to place in a replacement drive to the unit. I've been able to gut my Zune and remove the drive. I attempted a boot up without the drive connected and never saw the Zune splash screen; with the drive connected, the splash screen loads, so I want to believe that the hardware such as the board is working fine, but I'm just not certain.

The drive in the unit presently is an upgraded drive - a 120GB unit. Before I upgraded it as a 30 GB, the drive went out and one thing that confirmed it for me was that the Zune software on the unit itself actually used to display the fact that it couldn't register a drive operating inside of it. It's been some considerable time since then and updates have been applied since those times, so I'm not sure if firmware took out that notification about bad drives, or if the issue I'm seeing is really something beyond just the hard drive.

One more thing I'll mention is that once the unit turns on, it stays on indefinitely until the power drains out. Blank screen, powered on, no response from the buttons. If I want to shut it off, I would need to disconnect the battery.

Any ideas? I can probably video record the process and post to YouTube if necessary. But if you have a Zune and can picture some of what I've done on here, I think it may be moot. Let me know either way, thanks!

bvronko

Re: Need help determining the issue

Post by bvronko » December 15th, 2011, 8:53 pm

Yes that issue is certainly a result of a faulty hard drive. We see those symptoms a lot where the disk is able to load part of the operating system so the unit moves past the booting (Zune)screen but simply fails to go all the way to the menu screen.

Owald
Noob
Noob

Post by Owald » December 16th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Cool, that's what I was thinking too. Thanks for your response. I now know what I need to do next.

Owald
Noob
Noob

Post by Owald » March 4th, 2012, 3:12 am

So, I eventually got the opportunity to start looking on the market for a new HDD to replace the damaged Toshiba 120 GB MK1214GAH. Searching on eBay led me to some listings that mentioned the MK1214GAH was an out of market drive and the Samsung HS122JC was its best replacement. So I went and ordered one and got it in the mail today. Sadly, I have to report that this drive does not seem to work in the Zune 1st Gen 30 GB unit. After inserting the drive into the unit, the unit was able to recognize that there was a new drive in the system, but after connecting the Zune to my computer via USB and launching the Zune Software, it attempts to reload the firmware, but fails with a C00D124F error code, which basically says that I need to try reconnecting the USB cable and also that the drive doesn't have enough space, that I need to delete some items and try again, which is dumb considering this is a new drive.

So anyhow, I don't want to burden the vendor with a return on this; after all, I did open the unit and test this in my 30 GB unit. This is what I'm thinking I'll do:

I won't use this 120 GB drive for this unit (since I can't). I'll probably put it aside and order a Toshiba 120 GB MK1214GAH and not a suitable replacement per vendor suggestions. However, I still want to put the Samsung 120 GB HS122JC drive to use. Here's what I'd like to know:

- If I were to acquire a Zune 80 GB unit (since I prefer the matte finish), could I swap the stock drive that it comes with for this Samsung 120 GB HS122JC should I want to upgrade the unit at a later time?
- If the answer to the previous question is yes, would installation be any more difficult than what I've been able to do with my 30 GB unit thus far?

Also, if anyone has had success with the Samsung HS122JC working in a Zune 30 GB unit, please let me know. I don't have a spare unit to place this drive into, so there's always the chance that my unit could also be the problem and not just a drive incompatibility.