zune logo blink problem

Zune Parts, Discussion, Upgrades & Repair

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

leoeroy
Noob
Noob

zune logo blink problem

Post by leoeroy » March 11th, 2008, 8:20 pm

i replaced my zune 30g clickwheel by myself and after i finished changing the clickwheel, i test my zune and it works fine, then when i tried to put casing of my zune, the screen just blinks the zune logo and turns off. i wont turn on again, it blinks the zune logo when i connect it to my laptop. any answers for this one?

univave

Ya messed up

Post by univave » March 12th, 2008, 11:34 pm

You probably have something hooked up wrong...

My first guess would be the cable from the click-wheel.
If that isn't perfectly straight when it's locked down in the connector to the motherboard (or if you moved it while reassembling the Zune) it can cause this condition.

leoeroy
Noob
Noob

Post by leoeroy » March 13th, 2008, 9:46 am

(or if you moved it while reassembling the Zune) it can cause this condition.
can u explain this part. and how do i fix this?

univave

Post by univave » March 13th, 2008, 9:26 pm

Carefully disassemble the Zune again... every time you remove something, try turning it on again. If you get it working again, then very carefully put it back together again.

I've seen the flashing logo thing happen because the click-wheel cable wasn't seated correctly in its connector.

If you unplug the click-wheel and the zune starts up correctly, unplug the battery, open the click-wheel connector and install and lock the click-wheel cable. If the Zune starts up correctly when you plug the battery back in, you've found the problem.

Otherwise, continue unplugging things until you find the problem. Once you've found it, carefully put the Zune back together.

leoeroy
Noob
Noob

Post by leoeroy » March 14th, 2008, 6:33 pm

i removed the hard drive of my zune and the zune logo blinking has stopped when i plugged it in my laptop, the zune logo will just appear on the screen. does this mean my hard drive is the problem?

univave

Post by univave » March 15th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Most likely... I know this sounds stupid, but I have to ask... Are you sure you didn't plug the hard drive in backwards?

univave

Post by univave » March 15th, 2008, 1:12 pm

Another possibility is that the cable just wasn't seated properly. That ribbon isn't the easiest thing in the world to install correctly.

leoeroy
Noob
Noob

Post by leoeroy » March 15th, 2008, 4:43 pm

i plugged it correctly, the ribbon was seated correctly.

univave

Post by univave » March 16th, 2008, 2:49 pm

Sounds like your drive is toast or your cable might be broken.

nimrod2262
Noob
Noob

same thing

Post by nimrod2262 » June 15th, 2008, 3:02 am

mine does exactly the same thing except when i plug mine into my wall charger the blinking stops and it starts up fine plays everything but as soon as i un plug the wall charger it completely shuts off any advice?[/u]

Mustakrakish
Noob
Noob

Post by Mustakrakish » July 10th, 2008, 4:07 pm

That sounds like a battery issue. You may want to consider replacing it.
I just replaced my screen and plugged everything in and the blinking logo problem started. I left my battery unplugged for quite a while so I'm guessing my problem is also the battery.

mossone
Noob
Noob
My Device: Zune
I've owned this device for: Over 5 years.

Re: zune logo blink problem

Post by mossone » May 28th, 2013, 10:18 pm

Since this post seems to come up early in Google's search for this issue, I thought I'd post a quick update on my experience with the above issue. I have four Zunes, including a pair of 30gb Zunes (one white, one black) bought the same day. The black one works perfectly, and the white began to exhibit the blinking logo problem stated above just a few weeks ago.

Most of the sites I found tend to suggest this is a motherboard problem, or disconnected cable somewhere. Well, my Zune had not been used for a few months, it was never dropped, was sitting in an unused speaker dock, and I had never disassembled it. I pretty much gave up hope since swapping the motherboard is not economically viable on a device of this age. However I luckily read all the way to the post above suggesting it might just be the battery.

Well, that was it.

I bought a replacement battery from rapidrepair for $20 including shipping. It included the necessary tools - although was missing the extra tiny screwdriver needed if one of the two screws is in too tight. One of my screws came out easily, the other no so much. Thankfully I had a correctly sized mini screwdriver around or I might have stripped out the screw head.

I used the guide from ifixit.com which does a pretty good job in pictures and words walking through the steps to replace the Zune30 battery. I've changed many batteries in devices never intended to have user serviceable batteries, and I must say this one was EASY. Only the iPhone 4 was easier.

My Zune's symptoms:
Flashing Zune logo (startup logo) when plugged into USB, on/off in roughly one seconds increments. Goes on indefinitely.
Unplugged, will not turn on, simply showed the full screen low battery logo.

If you situation sounds similar, and you're even a little bit handy, I would suggest you attempt the $20 battery swap.

BEST OF LUCK!