Zune HD Broken Glass

Zune Parts, Discussion, Upgrades & Repair

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

Zune HD Broken Glass

Postby Numitor » November 5th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this question has been posted before -- I looked around a bit and didn't find a thread so I figured I'd start a new one.

Last week I broke down and bought the zune HD. I've had the 30 gig 1st gen zune since release day and figured this would be a good time for me to make a leap to a new device. After I bought it I took it home, filled it full of music and videos, and set out to the gym. When I was on the exercise bike my phone rang. I tried to grab it and knocked my zune off of the device tray on the bike and it landed face down on the rubber mat flooring, which I guess wasn't rubber enough because it put a lovely spiderweb crack through the glass screen. I had an iphone for a while and it took much harder hits than that; I figured that a device attempting to compete with apple would be a bit more sturdy. Oh well, my fault. :(

My question is this: Are there any plans to start selling a glass replacement screen for the zune HD? I guess I can put a screen protector over it for now to protect my fingers from getting cut... Or I could go back to using my old brick, but I'd love to repair this model. I looked up a few guides for replacing the screen and it doesn't appear to be hard to take it off, but no one sells the glass anywhere.

Thanks!
Numitor
Noob
Noob

My Device: Zune HD
I've owned this device for: I just bought it.

Re: Zune HD Broken Glass

Postby Justin » November 19th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Actually, we are actively working on sourcing the parts for the Zune HD, and I assure you we will soon have those in stock. I have been told we should have full stock on Zune HD parts in 4-8 weeks, hopefully sooner. So be patient! :) Hope that helps!
Justin

Postby Numitor » November 19th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I can definitely be patient knowing that a line of parts for the zune is already in the works. I'll be eagerly awaiting your release of the zune HD parts :)
Numitor
Noob
Noob

My Device: Zune HD
I've owned this device for: I just bought it.

Postby Justin » November 23rd, 2009, 1:15 pm

We'll have them listed on the site as soon as we have them! Thanks!
Justin

Postby RapidRepair » December 15th, 2009, 3:12 pm

RapidRepair
Founder
Founder

Postby r6pirate » June 21st, 2010, 1:49 pm

Hello, I have a cracked Zune screen. I would like to try and replace it myself but your "sickly detailed" teardown omits the removal of the digitizer and glass from the plastic frame. How is the glass held on to the silver plastic frame? Does it require heating to soften a glue like substance so removal of the screen is possible? I am mechanically/electronically inclined but i don't want to attempt something like this with such an expensive delicate item. Your replies would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex
r6pirate
Noob
Noob

My Device: ZuneHD
I've owned this device for: A year or two.

Return to Microsoft Zune