Zune 30g repair issues

Zune Parts, Discussion, Upgrades & Repair

Moderator: Rapid Repair Team Mods

Zune 30g repair issues

Postby RiahB » February 23rd, 2008, 1:22 pm

Alright, so my Zune screen cracked (as so many do) and I decided to replace it myself and spare some of the cost of having it repaired.
I bought a screen, took the Zune apart VERY carefully, replaced the screen, and closed it back up. That's when the problem came in.
It will not start. The screen flashes the Zune logo, but only when I plug it into the computer, yet the computer does not recognize the device. I tried to restart the entire device by holding down the arrow and the up part of the click wheel at the same time, and that does nothing. I thought maybe I had damaged the click wheel while closing the Zune, so I bought a new one, and it still does the same thing.
My Zune will not do anything unless it is hooked up to the computer, and all it does at that point is flash the logo.
Does anyone know what is going wrong with it?
RiahB
Noob
Noob

Postby ColorEnvy » February 25th, 2008, 5:14 pm

My best answer, (without looking at it to verify) is that the hard drive is damaged. Probably was damaged at the same time as the screen, a hit hard enough to crack the screen is definitely enough to cause damage to a drive as well. This doesn't mean it always will, but it is a definite possibility.
ColorEnvy

Postby RiahB » February 27th, 2008, 5:48 pm

Ah, alright. Thank you. I really hadn't wanted to spend the money on a new hard drive, but I'll have to try it.
Thank you.
RiahB
Noob
Noob

Give this a try before buying a new drive...

Postby univave » March 12th, 2008, 11:38 pm

You probably have something hooked up wrong...

My first guess would be the cable from the click-wheel.
If that isn't perfectly straight when it's locked down in the connector to the motherboard (or if you moved it while reassembling the Zune) it can cause this condition
univave

Re: Give this a try before buying a new drive...

Postby ColorEnvy » March 26th, 2008, 6:13 pm

univave wrote:You probably have something hooked up wrong...

My first guess would be the cable from the click-wheel.
If that isn't perfectly straight when it's locked down in the connector to the motherboard (or if you moved it while reassembling the Zune) it can cause this condition

I am pretty sure that the zune should still connect to the computer whether the clickwheel is plugged or not.
ColorEnvy

Postby RussM » May 24th, 2008, 2:54 am

I have run into the same issue as a result of the same operation. I replaced the LCD display and now the Zune logo flashes, but only when connected to USB power. When the unit is not on external power, it appears completely dead. As doesn’t respond to any keypad inputs, so I cannot apply the reset sequence detailed in KB 927001: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927001/

I have reopened and gone back through the device. I have pretty well ruled out any errors in re-assembly, including cable hookups.

It seems like I have either toasted the mainboard or the hard drive. It would be nice if I could isolate which, since by flipping a coin, being wrong, and ending up having to purchase both of them will essentially total the original cost of the unit.

Any ideas on how to determine whether the hard drive or the board has gone bad without fancy bench equipment or cracking open another Zune to swap parts?

Thanks!
RussM
Noob
Noob

Postby RussM » May 24th, 2008, 4:01 am

Okay, I couldn’t stand the suspense. I cracked open a second perfectly good 30GB Zune and swapped the hard drives. The drive from the problem unit checks out good in the second Zune and the symptom persisted on the problem unit with second Zune’s drive installed.

It seems to me that if I did hook up the display incorrectly, it shouldn’t work at all (correct?). Additionally, I can’t find anything wrong with the key pad assembly or its connection. The same goes for the battery.

As best as I can tell, I have a bad mainboard.
RussM
Noob
Noob

Return to Microsoft Zune